SMITHBITS RADIO MAGAZINE

Monday, January 20, 2014

In Response to Carla Weston Skaggs - A Note to Merrell Fankhauser

in response to Carla Weston Skaggs:

Dear Merrell Fankhauser, This is Carla Weston Skaggs, George Weston’s daughter. So glad to hear you new my Daddy. He was so easy to be with, and funny. He played his guitar like as if it were oxygen to him. I just arrived home and received the package of autograph records. Daddy’s spirit is so happy. [...]
Greetings Carla,
I’m not sure if you’ll get this message, but I hope so.
I tried leaving some messages and comments on YouTube for songs your father had sang….but so far no replies.
I used to live in Littlerock, Ca. and went to Almondale the same year as your brother. :) (that is if Steven Weston is your brother)
The reason why I’d like to contact you is that unbeknownst to me- George had cut some records, and just recently I listened to them on YouTube! What an amazing voice.
I used to hang out at your dad and Barbara’s little house by 4-points and the RR tracks. This was around late 1974 or 1975 time frame when I hung out there with my good friend Helen. As did Hippie Dale (aka Jimmy Dale Burris) and other peeps.
Of course all of them were much older than I at the time, being a teenager, while Helen and Barbara were in their 30′s, your dad was in his 40′s and Hippie was probably in his 50′s.
Your dad and Hippie Dale were never without their guitars and sang and played all the time.
In fact, your dad, Hippie, and Barbara all came over to my mom and dad’s house one time and had a impromptu jam session. ;)
Some other friends or family members of ours were present at the time, and really enjoyed listening to them.
I wish I would have paid more attention back then, but I was really into R&R and didn’t have the appreciation that I do now for the many different types of music that are out there.
I have very fond memories of your father if you’d like to hear them and the stories etc..
The reason as to how I found the recordings of George Weston on YouTube is from the Facebook group site “Growing Up In The AV in the 1960′s, 70′s, and 80′s.
Mary Richey Sweet (I went to Almondale and PHS with her son) had posted on that site and I was floored when she brought up the name George Weston, and how he was her first crush and about trying to find more info in locating his songs…
Your dad was so low keyed and kick backed, the opposite of a braggart , so that’s probably why I never knew about his records.
I also knew Glen MacArthur as he hung around a man named Richard Burson, who also hung around your dad’s crowd.
I was also very saddened to hear about your father’s passing. :(
You have my deepest sympathy for your loss of your father who I can tell you you dearly loved.
Take care,
~Pam~
email: gyngoru@gmail.com


P.S. I live up in the Lake Isabella/Kern River area now.


George Weston was from Bakersfield, California, and had sent a tape to Challenge records in August of 1958. It was a recording of him and Jim Noble, listed as the Noble Brothers, which ultimately was issued on Challenge. Weston cut two solo sides at the same time that went to Jackpot. "Hey Little Car Hop" is a fun rock and roll song that makes you want to go to the drive-in right now for a big greasy burger. "Well Don't You Know" is also rock and roll. He has another Jackpot record, and he issued sides for the Bakersfield based label Tally, and also for the Glen label.


No comments:

Post a Comment