SMITHBITS RADIO MAGAZINE

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Terri Winston -WAM - Punk rock in the 80’s really did save me

 TERRI WINTON OF WAM


When people ask, “What inspired WAM?”, I can boil it down to my favorite things: 

  • punk rock
  • technology, and
  • my Dad
My Dad was a mechanical engineer/metallurgical scientist who passed down to me his love of technology. His research lab was my playpen, and it's where I became used to being the only female in the building. In school growing up girls were pretty actively steered away from the sciences, but luckily I had my Dad. He let me be surrounded by things that inspired me, regardless of the gender norms of that time.
My dad, John, in his lab.                    Me, today, in the WAM studio.

WAM was born to recreate that environment - filled with technology and possibility for all girls, providing the support and encouragement that instills in girls and gender-diverse youth that anything is possible - even if you don’t often see yourself represented in society’s depiction of your dreams. WAM’s technology-fueled recording studios, the only ones in the world built and run entirely by women, and the many producers and engineers that we train every year are making dreams tangible realities.

And punk rock in the 80’s really did save me. The DIY ethos, a new way to express myself, the combination of art and politics and an inclusive, creative environment.

Girls on the Mic gives girls and gender diverse youth the confidence to use their voices

My Dad’s belief in me and punk rock’s utopia shaped my future and eventually led to the idea of WAM.

I appreciate each and every one of you for being a part of WAM’s family, and for believing in our vision of seeing women, girls and gender-diverse individuals fully reflected and represented in music and technology careers and in the sounds we hear every day of the year.You rock,Terri WinstonFounder and Executive Director

Donate to WAM
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Website
Our mailing address is:542-544 Natoma St. #C-1San Francisco, CA 94103(415) 558-9200info@womensaudiomission.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment